09/02/2009

Five Songs - Five Reasons

I haven't been posted a great deal on here other than videos, but I'm going to try and start posting a lot more regular write up etc.

Originally, I was just going to post my top 5 favourite songs at the moment, but I decided against that as it is boring, so I'm going to try to add a bit of depth. I am still going to post my top 5 favourite songs at the moment, but I'm going to add a story to why it's my favourite song, and possibly a story to go with the song.

01. Kanye West - Street Lights
Although I've bashed this album for the most part (and will continue to voice my opinions on it), this song is just so deep that it cannot be hated on in any way.
From the first line to the last line, this song just warms me up so much inside. I can't directly relate to the lyrics, but I can definitely adapt them to my life right now. The emotion Kanye displays throughout the song is incredible.
On Thursday 5 February, I was driving home from a hard days work in the night and it happened to be snowing. This song came on my iPod and it really set the scene perfectly, glowing street lamps with snow gently falling in the light and this song fit the scene perfectly. You probably had to be there to really get the picture, but it was really great and it made my night. I had a smile on my face right until I went to sleep that night.

02. Kid Cudi - Man On The Moon (The Anthem)
Ever since I listened to "A Kid Named Cudi" this has always been one of the main stand-out tracks for me. I can relate to this song so much it's unbelievable - I'd go as far to say this song describes me perfectly. This song defines exactly where I'm at right now with my life.
The mother of my soon-to-be-born child shed a tear when I told her how much I can relate to this song.. Just makes it that much better for me.

03. Tonedeff - Arrogant Featuring Substantial, PackFM & Rise
A fun beat, great lyrics, great rappers. This song is just crammed from beginning to end with quotables.

Heard you once and after doing a two take
You were only initially nice, like Real World room-mates
- Tonedeff

Never sign shit
Tagged my contract with a sharpy
..
Trust me, you don't want to be calling us out
We'll do a diss record, press one copy and shit it to your house
..
Criminally insane, my brain cells got inmates
..
Don't give a fuck if you like what we're spitting or not
Hold your piss in, like you got your dick in a knot
Let it out behind my back cause, once you see my face
You all smiles, giving me so many pounds I gain weight
- PackFM

I heard myself, I think I'm nice, I agree so why fault me
Every girl alive who has working eyes wants me
..
My girl said "I Love You", I said "I can't blame you at all"
- Rise

What else can I say?

04. Black Star - Definition
This song deserves to be in every ones top 10, atleast! Kweli & Mos trading verses.. not many things in Hip Hop can get better than that. A mesmerising beat by Hi-Tek, amazing verses by Kweli & Mos. This song IS Hip Hop.
Funny little story: Two years ago, when I went to Spain on holiday for a fortnight I left my phone at home and accidentally forgot to turn my alarm off that woke me up every morning for school - my sister didn't come with us because she was sitting her A-Levels around that time. This song was my alarm and Monday to Friday this song would go off without fail at 7.30AM. She couldn't find my phone anywhere so she couldn't switch the alarm off. Then by the time we got back from holiday she literally knew the chorus and half of Mos' verse off-by-heart.

05. Vakill - Introducin' Featuring Ras Kass
What more would anyone expect from two lyricists as great as Vakill and Ras. Weirdly enough, I remember first listening to this song as it was my first encounter of Ras Kass and Vakill (wtf. How was this possible) and I was blown away by both of them. It was not long after Worst Fears Confirmed and someone sent me a YouTube link to the song, and I immediately checked YouTube for other songs by Vakill and found more off the album. Needless to say I bought it within the next week, crazy shit. But this song is great, and I highly doubt that I will ever get bored of it.

Hope you all enjoyed reading this, if you didn't I couldn't give a fuck sorry but thanks for checking it.

Peace

1 comment:

Bradley said...

Man on the Moon was my most played song in January. Great song. And you know I love Street Lights.